What's new
What's new

Remove Large gear from shaft - damaged key

Just my opinion, but if it's already in the lathe, just bore it out until its just a thin sleeve like I have mentioned before. No need for extra machines, set-ups or a press. Plus it would already be chucked up to clean up the hub bore if needed. Do it all in one set-up.
Not so easy. The shaft sticks out 6" from gear, each side, and is 7" dia. I can't get the gear in the chuck jaws as chuck ID much too small.
Once I've cut one side off much easier to put it on the mill, rather than setting up 4 jaw, removing gap, etc.

Just my opinion, but if it's already in the lathe, just bore it out until its just a thin sleeve like I have mentioned before. No need for extra machines, set-ups or a press. Plus it would already be chucked up to clean up the hub bore if needed. Do it all in one set-up.

I disagree here. He already mentioned barely being able to hold the part with the tooling he's got. I'd say it would be way better to saw the end off, then plunge cut in the mill to split it. Should be able to tap it out with a hammer at that point. If that gear comes loose while it's spinning in the lathe, there could be potential damage to the lathe *and* to the gear.

OP I'll give you what my estimate would be for that shaft later on. Getting ready to eat.

14 K for the gearbox; or maybe about 10 K to a rebuilder. That is the question for your customer. The one for you is are you wanting to be in the rebuilder business. It can be lucrative but a bit specialized There is more critical decision making and you need to stand behind your work for some length of initial run time. Print work is very clear cut.
I’m surprised you found material that cheap these days. Steel supply in the USA is not what it used to be. Good luck

14 K for the gearbox; or maybe about 10 K to a rebuilder. That is the question for your customer. The one for you is are you wanting to be in the rebuilder business. It can be lucrative but a bit specialized There is more critical decision making and you need to stand behind your work for some length of initial run time. Print work is very clear cut.
I’m surprised you found material that cheap these days. Steel supply in the USA is not what it used to be. Good luck
I'm with you Dave; I wouldn't rebuild it, maybe machine work associated with the gear and shaft. The customer does all his own maintenance but can't do machining this size.
Maybe I'll get the old shaft out, and sub out machining a new shaft. No decisions made yet.
Bob

I was surprised at the tube cost as well, seems very cheap to me.
But then I rarely get to see higher alloy tube steel out here, solid bar is pretty much all you can get without freight. And I have to stock that, if I want it in less than two weeks.

Back