What's new
What's new

Can you change the Zero on SurfCAM while having it keep the NC you've already made?

JROC

Aluminum
I haven't run CNC in a couple years, as I went back to die building. Also my experience is with MasterCAM. My current job uses SurfCAM, which is very different than MasterCAM from what I remember. I'm trying to figure SurfCAM out, and now I realize with how I need to setup my part that my mill is going to run out of travel either on my zero corner or before my cutter comes off my part. I'd like to change my zero without having to redo all the programming that's already been done.

Is it possible to move my zero, and have the program refresh everything done off the new zero corner?

Thanks,

Jesse

Yes you can change the position of your work offset.

However, depending on how you programmed each toolpath, you may need to adjust clearances/retracts etc.

Most CAM I have messed with you can shift XY because the calculated output is relative, so the actual positions aren't calculated until posted.
but if you change Z then all bets are off, and you need to recalculate and adjust parameters in your operations.

usually this works in either system also, so rather your using a global WC system or local WC system it usually has these same rules from what I have seen.

cant help specific to SmufCAM though sorry.

Not entirely sure I understand the problem.

But depending where your part is in space in Surfcam, when you set XYZ on the machine make it match where it is in the PC.

Or enter offsets in the machine to shift the program to where the part is in space.

Occasionally I'll program a part that's not even close to 0,0,0, so I either change the G54 offsets or just pick up the part and enter the XYZ to match the part.

In surfcam you cam either use the world coordinate or CView Work coordinate.
You need to set the tab at the top ribbon to work. I make a sketch that has an L shape that is where I want the new ZERO and then set the new CView offset to that, now I haven't had it installed or used it in over 2 years so my terms may be off.

Back