Deckel FP1 1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Deckel FP1 2.jpg
    Deckel FP1 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Deckel FP1 3.jpg
    Deckel FP1 3.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 92
Use a die grinder to clear out the damaged area.
Need to make the repair deep enough that the epoxy will have some mechanical strength.
Best to use a dovetail shaped burr to create an undercut at the edges of the clearing.( sides of the window)
Throughly clean the area and applly
The epoxy. Think Moglice has a product for this.
Use enough to leave the repair proud.
Scrape flat when the epoxy cures.
Did the verticals on my Fp4NC some years back. Think there is a posting about the job.
Cheers Ross

Don’t want to be a contrarian, and I’m just an amateur rebuilder, but wondering if filling fired up ways that are covered like x axis on a Deckel with Moglice is really worth it? The pics suggest a rescrape for geometry and to decrease firing up is needed, maybe even restoring geometry with a sheet of turcite after remachining? Thoughts?

Not sure we are on the same page
He is trying to repair a damaged area on the stationary side of a way.
In general the damage is from gauling and the damage is deep enough that a rescrape will not remove the damage. ( too deep)
Filling the scar will help maintain the oil film and restore some of the bearing surface.
Was not suggesting coating the way the repair is to fill a groove , epoxy being supported by the surrounding parent material.
Adding sheet material to the long side of a gib is not a good choice, that as the slide moves the Turcite or Rulon would have sections exposed ( no chip protection).
Pretty much you only want to add sheet material on the short way element that has wipers or other chip exclusion methods.
Cheers Ross

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, Ross. I should have been specific which side of a way should get turcite glued to correct geometry, you are absolutely correct. My point was that much galling (we call it firing up north of the 49th) indicates to me that the geometry is likely way off probably due to prolonged use with inadequate lubrication (chips don’t easily collect there on a FP1) and a simply filling up the gouges doesn’t solve the bigger problem. My guess, and tell me if I’m wrong, is that the lower slide on x axis is going to be much more worn than top flat slide and geometry will be well off. A remachine/turcite/rescrape is needed. And we don’t know what the top dovetail on x looks like. Probably worse. A simple filling of holes with Moglice is worth it? Seems to me to be wasted effort if the rest of the machine is in good nick. Would think while machine is apart it would be time to fix lube system and geometry.

But it’s not my machine, not me doing the work, and I’ve only rescraped in machines other than Deckels… so my opinion is not that of a pro. And yes, if that’s all that’s wrong, pretty darn good for a 60+ year old machine.

That one looks nasty.
The other side hidden on the X/Z block likely looks even worse.
Dovetail sucks, on boxways, like on FP-NC, you could simply mill it down by 0.5mm, put some bronze on the inside, scrape and be done.
On dovetails, that would mess everything up, requiring new gib and everything.
Adding bronze on the inside to compensate for removed material on slide might work, but dovetail gets thinner and less stable.
Moglice/epoxy on the hidden part is fine, but running Moglice on Moglice, doubt it would last for long.

I found some time to fill up the scores and made some pics, I use a disc wheel on a dremel and undercut both sides At least I try to This way I keep as much as possible of the original ways
The idea with the SKC is to mix the complete batch of 0.1kg
I have a cheap 0.01gram scale though and this time I only used 5 gram And 0 77 gram of harder It was just enough When I apply the SKC I poke around with a needle to make sure it wettens the gap Finaly I cover it with some tape After scraping it flush with a wide scraper I fill the apering airpockets if needed The scale I specially bought it for the purpose

Peter

Attachments

• 20240513_155724.jpg
    20240513_155724.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240513_155727.jpg
    20240513_155727.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240513_162837.jpg
    20240513_162837.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240513_163116.jpg
    20240513_163116.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240513_163920.jpg
    20240513_163920.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240513_165220.jpg
    20240513_165220.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
I would make one passing comment on the above process
Using abrasive tools on cast iron will tend to pull and smear the free graphite
That is in the iron matrix.
Makes for a poor bond with the epoxy.
Better to use rotary files that cut to prevent this.
Note: the Lincoln welding processes book makes it a point to not grind iron to prepare for a brazed repair of iron for this very reason.

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
I would make one passing comment on the above process
Using abrasive tools on cast iron will tend to pull and smear the free graphite
That is in the iron matrix.
Makes for a poor bond with the epoxy.
Better to use rotary files that cut to prevent this.
Note: the Lincoln welding processes book makes it a point to not grind iron to prepare for a brazed repair of iron for this very reason.

Cheers Ross
I have the opposit experience with silversoldering CI Ground flat on the surface grinder it soldered perfectly

Perhaps the difference is between grinding on a surface grinder versus grinding manualy And this was silver soldering Not brass It was not pure luck It was common practice on rebuilders here to extend a ci tapered gib that way

Back